If you notice dark smudges around a socket on one of your power points, then you may assume that the plate is dirty. However, what if you can't clean the marks off and realise that they look like they are made from burns or smoke?
Why has this happened and what should you do?
Common Sources of Burn Marks on Power Points
Burn and smoke marks can appear on power points for various reasons. Some are caused by problems with the power point or its wiring; others may be down to the way you use the socket.
For example, this kind of marking sometimes happens on old power points. If the point has become worn or damaged, then it may not be as insulated as it once was. Any appliance you plug in may build up heat in the power point between the metal on the plug and the metal in the socket. If things get hot enough, the power point may get scorched or marked with smoke.
Sometimes, you get the same effect because the inside of the plug is very dusty. If the dust gets hot enough, it may smoulder, causing the marks you see around the socket.
Problems with wiring connections can also be to blame. Wires that are too close to each other or wires that have worked loose may cause overheating in the power point.
You should also think about how you use the power point. Burns and smoke marks can pop up on sockets if they are overloaded. So, for example, if you're using an adaptor on the socket and have put too many appliances on to the adaptor that you use simultaneously, then the power point may be overheating.
How to Deal With Scorched Power Points
You may not know exactly why there are burn marks on a power point. Even if you have a good idea what may have caused the issue, this isn't something that you should try to fix yourself. At this stage, you should call out an electrician to find out exactly what happened and why.
In the meantime, it's best to stop using this power point until your electrician arrives. If it is overheating, then you risk overloading the circuit. The problem could quickly move from burn marks to something more serious, like an electric shock or fire.
Once your electrician has had a chance to assess the situation, they can tell you if the power point or its connections needs a repair or replacement to be made safe again. Make sure that you involve electrical repair professionals for this sort of situation!
To be a savvy consumer, you need to understand a little bit about the industry you are engaging with. For example, if you don't know anything about car repairs, you risk getting bad advice. This blog is devoted to teaching readers about construction. There are going to be a few DIY posts, some advice on hiring construction crews, a look at products such as surety bonds for construction projects, and more. There may also be posts on industries related to the construction industry. I hope these posts give you the "tools" you need to be a savvy consumer. Take a look around, and if you like the posts, please share them on social media. Thanks for reading.